This Thanksgiving, I thought I'd share my top five list of things I'm thankful for. What are yours?
1. My Health - I am thankful for my health and absolutely won't take it for granted. Recently I was referred to a genetic counselor because of a family history of cancers. The genetic counselor indicated it met the criteria for something called Lynch Syndrome which greatly increases the risk for many cancers. I had the testing and then it was a painfully slow three week wait for the results. Well, they came yesterday and they were negative. Negative for the five genes associated with Lynch Syndrome in addition to negative from BRCA1, BRCA2 and two other genes associated with increased cancers. Never take for granted your health!
2. My husband and our happy marriage - I'm so grateful for my husband, his support and for the life we have built together.
3. My unbelievable 14 year old son - who is my only son. At 14 an a freshman in high school he has amazed me with his ambitious future goals, with his dedication to his studies. I mean, he took Algebra 1 online while finishing 8th grade and starting summer so he could advance into Honors Chemistry. He also has a passion for classical music. So far, the teenage years, while still early, have not been anything I expected and I am so thankful for that! Let's see if it lasts.
4. My pets - Simply because they love me unconditionally. Who wouldn't love that?
5. My career - The day job in compliance and yes, I may often complain but without it, I would not have the money to be able to choose only to photograph that which I am passionate about. I have also had a wealth of opportunities recently and I get to travel to fun places like New York City and San Francisco.
What are you most Thankful for this Thanksgiving?